LA County Supervisors Approve COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
IRWINDALE - On Tuesday, the LA County Board of Supervisors approved a COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave Ordinance. The ordinance applies to companies with over 500 employees nationwide as well as in the unincorporated parts of Los Angeles County. The County CEO Office said that there are 38 businesses that will be affected by this supplemental ordinance. Some of the provisions include:
- Employers must provide full-time employees 80 hours of supplemental sick leave for COVID-19 related reasons
- Requires a doctor's note to request leave.
- Employer offset: If an employer provided additional paid leave, the obligation to provide leave may be reduced by every hour the employer allowed an employee to take leave.
- Exempts emergency first responders and health care providers.
- Exemption for collective bargaining agreements if there is a waiver in the agreement.
- This was approved as an urgency ordinance.
- The supplemental ordinance sunsets Dec. 31, 2020.
The Partnership is working with our many business allies and partners to continue to advocate on the Right of Recall and Countywide Worker Retention ordinances which are expected to be considered by the Board of Supervisors on May 12, 2020.